Monday, March 06, 2017

Day 6 - TV Series that I've watched - 2

TV Series That I've Watched - 1

The Bletchley Circle - Four women who worked at Bletchley Park get together post-war, and solve murders by using their code-breaking and pattern-finding skills. What's not to like, really?

Fauda - An intense, well-made series based on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I liked it for the gripping action, the wonderful performances by the entire cast, and for the fact that they've shown both sides of the conflict so well that you feel connected and invested in both sides! And I like watching non-western series, one of the reasons being that I love to look at different faces and features. These faces - they were Indian, but not quite. I quite enjoy that.

The Fall - A handsome, athletic man, a great, loving father, but also a serial killer. A cop, cold, confident and focused, out to find him before he finds his next victim. Great performances, very gripping. The second series was extremely slow compared to the first, but it picked up towards the end, and was satisfying.

Dicte -  A Danish series about a journalist, Dicte, who single-mindedly follows up crimes to report on them, and of course, ends up helping solve many of them. Good one. There are a lot of personal elements in this, about Dicte and the people around her.

The West Wing - Probably the first series we watched after getting here. Enjoyed it so much that I sometimes mixed up West Wing events with real events. Also got a good picture of how the American political system works.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - An Australian period drama of a highly emancipated-for-her-time feminist detective. I enjoyed the first few episodes, but then they got a little repetitive. I should go try the rest now, it has been a while.

Poirot - Agatha Christie's Poirot, of course, with David Suchet's famed performance. I admit Poirot started annoying me after a while, but the series is well-made (not the last couple of them, though - liked the initial episodes much more.)

Annedroids - Okay, this is something (the only thing, actually) that Puttachi watches. It is a fun, award-winning Canadian show for children, with STEM concepts explained in a simple way. Anne is a brilliant girl who has built her own androids, and she and her friends have several adventures. Puttachi started watching this at school (her teacher showed this to class during rainy-day-recess.

I also watched a few comedy series as a background - sometimes to exercise, some while I cook or do other monotonous work. Some of these are Friends, Frasier and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - I don't have to tell you about the first two, I guess, but about the third - Kimmy has been in a bunker for 15 years, kidnapped by some weirdo, and she is now outside and trying to make a life for herself in NY. It was kind of fun, but I think one would enjoy it better if they get all the pop culture references that are a dime a dozen in the series.

I'll add to this list if I remember any more.

Edited to add on March 16th:

Happy Valley - Got to be one of my favourite series, really. The complex main character of Catherine Cawood, a cop, is one of the best I've seen on TV/movies. Stunning performances, gripping storylines. And what characterization, really!

Now it is time for you to suggest some good series! :)



4 comments:

Ramsu said...

Prime Suspect, a BBC series starring Helen Mirren as a detective in Scotland Yard. Perhaps the best cop drama I've seen, and Mirren is simply fantastic as a smart woman navigating a male landscape.

A few classic British comedies, like Blackadder, Allo Allo, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers.

Boardwalk Empire, a series about the making of Atlantic City. I haven't seen the show, but the book it is inspired by is fascinating, and the show itself got rave reviews.

Prashanth M said...

I picked up a Agatha Christie book couple of years ago. Half way through I found the TV series with David Suchet - that book is still unfinished :|

PS: Added Dicte to the list. Thanks for the recco

P~ said...

Ah, you resumed blogging! My faith in mankind is restored (on a serious note you blogposts are delightful, so this month is quite a treat :) )

Do try watching
1.House of cards (a very long series, too many technicalities Of American politics, some one dimensional characters, but overall very gripping)

2. Prison break - lots of fighting, chasing sometimes resembles a Bollywood masala movie but again a gripping watch

Btw did you manage to read strawberry fields? ;)

Shruthi said...

Ramsu, thanks for all those recommendations. Noted. I've watched only Fawlty Towers, and a few episodes of Monty Python, among your recos.

Prashanth M, haha! I'd read most of the Poirots before, but it was ages ago, and I remembered only a few of them.

P~, thanks! House of Cards is in our list. We wanted to space out West Wing and House of Cards, so we haven't gotten to it yet. Yes, I did bring Strawberry Fields, and I even read until Vulk kidnaps Irina and the rest of them hop into the remaining trailer and set off. But I couldn't bring myself to read further. I don't know why. Btw, I absolutely loved "I am dog" LOL!

- -