Sunday, March 05, 2017

Day 5 - TV Series that I've watched - 1

With all my talk of books, I've not spoken at all about the TV series that I've watched over the last couple of years. On Netflix. Some on Amazon Prime. I feel I must talk about these, because they've been an integral part of my daily life. After all, I love stories, and what difference does it make how it is told?  I'm always on the look out for good series that I can watch, and am very thankful to people who put up reviews. So I'm returning the favour (to whomsoever it may concern) and doing a few posts on the series I've watched.

Breaking Bad - A dying high-school Chemistry teacher decides to cook a batch of crystal meth to make some money for his family before he dies, and before he knows it, he gets sucked into it in a way that you cannot begin to imagine. I don't think I need to talk about this much, seeing as to how everybody seems to have already watched it. I enjoyed it in a weird, obsessed way. S and I started watching it together, but S dropped out after a few episodes. I continued, and finished it. Honestly, watching this series made me realize that all that advice of surrounding yourself with pleasant things because it will make you calm and serene - that advice makes sense. Because watching this was disturbing, even physically. I was glad to finish it and be done with it. A shout out to the character Gus Fring - the most interesting character I've seen in a series, and to the actor who played it - Giancarlo Esposito. What a fascinating face he has.

Downton Abbey - The life and times of a grand family on an old English estate. I have written about it before, about how the characters really held my interest. I had watched most of the seasons back in India on TV. Watched the last season here on Amazon Prime. I admit I have an affinity for these old English dramas, even in books, and this series fulfilled all my requirements. Loved it.

North and South - The story of a young woman whose family moves to the north of England, and how they struggle to adjust to life there. It is based on a novel of the same name. Very small series - just four episodes. But it really impressed me. Okay, to be very honest, it was Richard Armitage, who played the character John Thornton, who is the one of the main reasons for my love for this series. No, but really, the story is good, and the series is well-made.

River - A 6-part British series about a cop fighting psychological battles while looking for the killer of his partner. Very well-made, and great performances by Stellan Skarsgard and Nicola Walker. And the song "I love to love" which plays a part in the series, stayed with me for weeks after.

Wallander (Swedish TV Series): Adapted from Henning Mankell's novels, this is an excellent cop series with Krister Henriksson as Wallander, which we enjoyed. The cinematography is spectacular too.

Wallander (UK TV Series): Yeah, the same character, but different stories, and in English, this time played by Kenneth Branagh. We enjoyed the Swedish one better, but this one is good too.

Orange is the New Black: I am the only person I know who liked OITNB, a women's prison drama series. I admit I got annoyed sometimes, and yet, it did get gross sometimes, but then when it became too much to handle, I simply stopped watching, and continued later, and then I was not annoyed or grossed out any longer. I came to like and feel for the characters (except the main character - her I increasingly detested)

Blacklist: S and I started watching this in India, a set-a-thief-to-catch-a-thief kind of series, and we liked the first season, esp the flamboyance of the character Reddington played by James Spader. The second season, which we watched here in the US, was ok-ok, but the third season was terrible. We finished it out of loyalty.

How to Get Away with Murder: Started off well, this story of a tough lawyer and her students, and liked the first series in spite of the back and forth screenplay. But couldn't get through the second series.

TV Series that I've Watched - 2


1 comment:

Aarthi said...

I too thought the same about Breaking Bad. I just couldn't watch it alone but Vinay was at the last season by the time I started watching. The scenes are heart wrenching.
I too loved Orange is the new black but I have just seen the 1st season. I am surprised you haven't watched/mentioned House of Cards.

- -