Tuesday, March 05, 2013

The joy of walking

One of the nicest things about our new place is its proximity to Puttachi's school.  Though I drive her to school (as of now), I bring her back walking.

The lovely thing about coming back walking with her is that I hear all her school news, hot off the press.  We are lucky to have a quiet, tree-lined road part of the way, and as we walk, Puttachi swings her bag, and skips along, ponytails bouncing, and she chatters away.  Contrast this with driving back - my eyes are on the road, she is in the back seat, and I am only half-listening to what she says.. and since she also doesn't get the eye-contact and reactions she needs, she becomes quiet too (relatively.)

It is just a kilometre's walk, but it surprises me that everybody who hears that I bring her back walking says, "Isn't she tired after school?" and "Can she walk that distance?"   She is as tired as an active kid is after school, but this leisurely, short walk doesn't make her more tired.  Of course, there are days when she doesn't feel too good, or she has fallen down at school and complains of aches, but I always carry enough money for an autorickshaw in case she cannot walk at all.  But more often than not, once she starts talking (and walking), she makes it home pretty easily.  The second question - seriously?  1 km?  It is nothing.  The very people who are surprised that she walks that distance would have walked many times that distance when they were Puttachi's age. I think the adults of today underestimate our children.  We presume weakness in them.

Walking is such a dying art - very few people walk to a friend's house, to a shop, or to the barber.  Distances, traffic and smoke, creepily lonely roads and uneven footpaths are all culprits.  As a result, even when the conditions are conducive to walking, people don't even remember that they can include walking among their options.

Walking is such joy - the freedom to go where you want to, the luxury not to have to park your vehicle anywhere, the feeling of being part of the landscape, the space you get to think when you are alone, or the opportunity to have good conversations when you are with company.....

I come from a family of great walkers, and I am married to an extreme walker, if there is any such phrase, and I  think Puttachi has already been inculcated in this "art" - I hope that the future gives her the space and the opportunity to continue to experience the pleasure of walking.

8 comments:

Sumana said...

I know many people in our complex walk both times of the day, but when they have to head to a nearby store they always drive. I wonder sometimes when the road is clogged with so many vehicles, walking makes it far easier. I love walking and taking BTS buses and so are my kids.

Vethal said...

I walk to fetch veggies . Such a wonderful post.

Aarthi said...

nice post Shruthi. I too love walking. I have enjoyed so many of Ruskin bonds stories in which he always walks :) aah the fresh mountain air!

Anu said...

I read somewhere recently that people find it easier to open up to each other when walking side by side rather than while sitting facing each other. Not that it is an issue here..... :)

rs said...

well i agree with you. that is the way it is in our family. my dad and mom always prefer to walk if they can. my mom complains that we waste petrol and pollute the environment. yesterday she was telling me about this neighbour who takes an auto to the nearby park (that is less than 1 km), walks in the park (the doctors advised her to walk everyday) and then returns in the same auto and pays him 100 bucks everyday for this. :-)

Shruthi said...

Thank you all!

Anu, that's very interesting. I can understand why that could be too.

Rathi Technology said...

Online Jobs Available.

I am going to share a Genuine, Real Internet Money making System with you.I am not a computer genius. I am a normal person who browse internet for checking Emails, Chatting, finding jobs just like others do.

Visit Here for More Details : http://realonlinepayingjobs.blogspot.in

Rathi Technology said...

Online Jobs Available.

I am going to share a Genuine, Real Internet Money making System with you.I am not a computer genius. I am a normal person who browse internet for checking Emails, Chatting, finding jobs just like others do.

Visit Here for More Details : http://realonlinepayingjobs.blogspot.in

- -