Thursday, January 21, 2016

BS Madhava Rao Circle, Basavanagudi

A few years ago, my Tata visited me in my home in Basavanagudi, and told me that 70 years ago, he had lived just a couple of streets away from where I did. Later that day, as we drove out of our apartment complex, we reached BS Madhava Rao circle. My Tata read the board, and was immensely pleased.

"Very good," he said. "Excellent. I didn't know that they had named this circle after BS Madhava Rao. Great man."

Today, while translating my Tata's memoirs, Nenapina Alegalu (which I'm doing along with my aunt), I arrived at a passage where my Tata remembers the kindness and generosity that the mathematician Dr BS Madhava Rao displayed to him, by renting out a house to him at a reduced rent, when my Tata was in a difficult situation. It was the same house that my Tata had spoken about to me that morning all those years ago.

Now that I know all the circumstances behind that renting incident, I understand why BS Madhava Rao Circle made him so happy.

More about Nenapina Alegalu: Redemption

2 comments:

Deepali said...

Hi Shruthi,

Came across your blog post by chance. Dr. BS Madhava Rao was my grandfather. He died when I was very young, so all I know about him was about his Mathematics prowess.

It was wonderful to read your Tata's remembrance of my grandfather. Thanks for sharing!

- Deepali

Shruthi said...

Good to hear from you, Deepali. If you get a chance, do read Nenapina Alegalu. My grandfather has written more in detail about him than I have in this post.

- -